| Dragoness Eclectic's Dragonball Z Fan Fics
Being questions I have been asked, or figure you'd like to know
about anyway.... Be warned, there are spoilers in some of the
questions and their answers.
- Can I link to your page?
- Sure--unless you're Slashdot.org. There's a banner on the
Awards and Webtoys page if you want to use it.
- Can I post your fics on my website?
- No. I prefer to post my fics to a limited number of archives where
I have some control over the files, as I occasionally find yet more
typos and fix them. I'm also very picky about presentation and prefer
to have my stories displayed my way on my site.
- That being said, you may link directly to my stories from your
site (aka "deep linking") if you want to. It's a win-win situation if
you do: you don't use up the space on your site, you don't take the
bandwidth hit, and I get to control how my story is formatted and keep
- Will you post my fic on your website?
- No. I do not host other people's fics on my website. I have a
limited amount of space and am busy planning how to fill it all up
with my own stuff. I also do not want to be put in the position of
explaining why your fic was or wasn't good enough to go on my site,
nor do I have the time to format submitted fics for readability, etc.
- Will you review/criticize/beta-read my fic?
- It's possible. One, ask first; I am sometimes very busy and
absolutely unable to spare the time to even look at fics, let alone
give them a good review. Two, don't ask unless you want serious
criticism that points out your faults and problems, and have a thick
skin. I can be very blunt, and if you are sensitive or just want to be
told the story is good, I'm not the person to review it. Three, if I
say "yes, send it to me", DO send it in text or HTML format--text
preferred. If you send it in MS Word format, I'll look at it the next
time I get around to booting Windows, which could be any time in the
next two or three weeks. Four, if you're in a hurry, you might want to
ask someone else. I take my time, and I have Real Life (tm) concerns
that cut into my reading and reviewing time. Finally, I'm not the
greatest reviewer in the world; I've had beta-readers who were much
better than I am at giving insightful criticism.
- Do you/Have you ever written other things besides DBZ fanfiction?
- Have you ever thought about writing original fiction and getting it published?
- Yes. See my Writings page. In addition, I have
had two stories rejected by Dragon Magazine; I decided to
stop submitting stories for publication until I learned how to write
them. I've been learning a lot about how to write, and have greatly
polished my writing skills while writing my DBZ fanfics. I do intend
to get published one of these days.
- Will you write another story about Raditz?
- Yes. In fact, I am working on
another short novel.
- Will Raditz ever go SSJ?
- Only if the plot absolutely requires it. I kind of like him as
the only Saiyan who can't go SSJ; makes him a bit different. He will
go SSJ at least once before he dies for the final time, though that
may be why he dies... (No, I don't have the story
idea, just the death scene in my head. Don't get all upset; I intend
for Raditz to live long enough to have grown-up kids. I don't know if
I'll ever write his last story. Of course, I could change my mind if a
good enough idea comes along...)
- Wow, you know a lot of mythology! Did you study it in college?
- No, but it has been a major interest of mine since childhood. I
think it started when I spent an entire summer in a backwoods cottage
with only two books to read: H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds
and Edith Hamilton's Mythology. Discovering role-playing
games in college only fueled my interest; I started actively
researching different mythologies as background for game settings and
fantasy story mythologies. My continuing interest is based on that,
and the deep meanings found in the myths themselves--myth and legend
are deeply entwined with the human psyche, and reflective of it.
- Where did you get the ideas for all those characters and places?
- See the Credits Page for details of which
character/place/thing came from what mythology, story, or roleplaying
game. You might be surprised by how many DBZ-ish things are actually
taken straight from myth (like Hanuman turning into a giant
monkey). But then, Dragonball itself is a Chinese legend retold.
- Where do the Saiyan names you use come from?
- See the Extras page.
- In Welcome to Hell, Son, why did Raditz say Vegetasei was destroyed only 4 years ago when in later stories and in the Frieza Saga it's clearly 20 or more years ago?
- Because Raditz told Goku a few fairy tales about Vegetasei and
the Saiyans when they first met (rather like Kaio-sama did), and I was
silly enough to believe him. I hadn't seen the Bardock Special yet
when I wrote that story. Maybe Raditz was thinking in the longer
Vegetaseian years when he talked to his father...
- Why aren't Frieza/Cell/Buu/Cold/etc not in the group of "ten most powerful dead enemies of Vegeta and Goku" in Why?
- When do Why? and Why Me? take place?
- Why? and Why Me? take place during the year Goku was
in space after Namek blew up and before he got home. Cell wasn't born
yet, and Frieza, Cold, and Buu weren't dead yet.
- Who made the wish in Why?
- The same short, ill-tempered guy who was upset about the results
of his wish in Why Me? Hint: he's a very old enemy of Goku, he
knows about the Dragonballs, he's blue, and he's not Garlic, Jr.
- What about Raditz & Nezumi?
- Well, if you've read
Looking Forward, Looking Back,
you know what Kinoko thinks about it. However, she's not the
prescient one, and it's not a simple relationship. Raditz has issues,
and Nezumi may not be ready to take out a subscription. Wait and see.
- ...Negi & Pomona?
- Sorry, Mythic Descent was the last you'll see of
- ...Sean & Sinhika?
- They make a fun couple, don't they? The epilogue of Mythic Descent
is probably the last I will write about them, except as cameos.
- ...Kadru & Khara?
- If I ever figure out how to write a Shakespearean romantic farce, there
will be a story about this.
- Ack! What happened to Bardock?
- Now that you've read the Epilogue and
Looking Forward, Looking Back, you should know.
- What happened to Kale and Sullion?
- Forced into their next incarnations. I don't know about Sullion,
but Kale was reborn as a human. It improved his personality
greatly. Read Yamucha's Student if you're curious.
- Is there a story behind that incident Raditz mentions to Bulma early in Mythic Descent?
- Yes. Read Van Vogt's Cat.
- Where did the "Winged Rings" reference come from?
It's a name I made up for the two perpendicular rings shown in
this picture of Vegetasei.
I got the idea from the "Wings" of Drallar (or "Moth"), Flinx's home world in
Alan Dean Foster's Flinx & Pip stories. Drallar also had outsized
intersecting rings that gave the impression of "wings" when viewed from space.
- What exactly is Raditz's job in One Who Wronged Me? He mentions something about being "on call"...
- He's replaced the late Hiregumi-san as Capsule Corp's Chief of
Security, a job he understands surprisingly well. As such, he has to
be reachable in case of emergencies.
- Where did the picture of Bardock's team in Hell come from?
- Where did the picture of King Vegeta in Hell come from?
- They are both from the same episode in the Frieza Saga. A few
episodes after killing Vegeta, Frieza boasts to Goku about having
exterminated the Saiyans. We see imagery of bloody, battered, angry
Saiyans in a fiery place when Frieza makes those boasts.
- Can I use the picture of <fill-in-the-blank>?
- If the picture has a name on it, or is original fanart, or has
credit given in one of the Artist & Screenshot Credits sections, you
have to go ask the original owner or artist. If no credit is given
anywhere, and it is a screenshot (not a trading card!) or a B&W manga
scan, it is something I captured or scanned, and you're welcome to use
it. I'd appreciate it if you gave credit for it somewhere, though.
- Here's some fanart I drew....
- Great! If it's under 200K, I'll actually download it sometime soon
(I have a dial-up modem, not broadband, and limit the size of the
e-mails I download to avoid wasting my time with those damned SirCam
(and now Klez) viruses.) If I like it and it matches the theme of the
Raditz Gallery, I'll probably add it to the Gallery
the next time I update it. I don't update the Gallery very often, so
don't be too bothered if I say I'll display it but then you don't see
it for months and months..
- Microsoft Word won't open those DOC files! What's going on?
- What's a PDB/PRC file? Windows won't open it!
- Those stories are formatted for various e-book readers that run on the
Palm PDA. They are not in Microsoft Word format, but rather
Aportis DOC format, a de facto lowest-common-denominator
"standard" for e-book readers. PDB (Palm DataBase) and PRC (Palm ResourCe)
are standard binary file formats for Palm OS program and data files.
- I want to read Vejiitsei Ascendant but I don't have a Palm PDA. Can you send me a copy/tell me how to read it on my computer?
- No. The author is permitting me to host iSilo versions of her story
because they can only be read on a Palm PDA; there is no
desktop reader for iSilo docs. The author does not permit re-distribution
of her fics, and I am honoring her wishes.
Update: This may change in the near future!
| Dragoness Eclectic's Dragonball Z Fan Fics